Self Storage Packing Tips
To Assist you with Packing your Self Storage Unit, we have listed some Storage Packing Tips below:
1. Fridges/Freezers and all White Goods.
- Defrost, dry and clean before storing.
- Leave door slightly ajar or even tape open doors so that the air can circulate.
- A Deodorizer might be a good idea to maintain freshness.
- While storing items inside freezers might be a good use of space, it might cause permanent damage or leave marks, so be careful.
2. Washing Machines
- Drain out the hoses
- Tape up any movable drums inside the machine before moving into storage.
3. Bicycles & Other Metal Items
- Wipe all metal surfaces, such as cast iron or chrome with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Wrap silver in non-acid tissue paper bags can help reduce tarnishing.
4. Pictures & Mirrors
- Wrap in corrugated cardboard or use some bed sheets to cover mirrors.
- For pictures wrap in old towels or use sheets or corrugated cardboard.
- Mark these items as fragile.
- Store standing on edge.
5. Getting the most from your Storage Unit.
- Try to use the full height of the storage unit.
- Store large/heavy items at the base of the unit. These include such things as Washing Machines, Fridges and Cupboards.
- Dismantle as many items as possible, eg beds, tables etc
- Store smaller /lighter items on top of other items to maximize space.
- Keep items you may wish to access first at the front of your unit.
6. Carton Storage
- Keep the weight of each carton under 15kg.
- Line cartons with plastic and fill empty spaces with wrapping paper.
- Use tea towels, towels or sheets as packing between fragile items and to make use of all space.
- List the contents of the side of the carton or take a picture of the contents of the box.